The Crane Dress

I decided about a year ago to make a dress adorned in 1000 cranes.  The story of the 1000 cranes is of Sadako Sasaki, who was two years old when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima August 6, 1945.  Exposed to the radiation of the bomb, at the age of twelve she was diagnosed with Leukemia and would die a year later.  She folded 1000 origami cranes in the effort to grant her wish for life.  At the Hiroshima Peace Park, remembering those who died from the effects of the bomb, a plaque reads, “This is our cry. This is our prayer. Peace on Earth.”
To complete 1000 cranes your wish is granted.

What is my wish?  In folding the cranes, I feel this story of Sadako Sasaki, the need for peace, for us to recognize the preciousness of all human beings, of all beings, is imperative.  May this dress represent peace.

The making of the dress

Paper:

 

 

 

 

Creating this dress has proved to be an extensive process.  I needed to choose materials and colors.  I decided on the colors of a Koi, red, orange and black.  I am still playing with white or yellow.  The paper needs to be strong enough to withstand being sewn onto the dress and also last through multiple wears and hopefully through travel.  My first inclination was tyvek, like the folded wallets you can buy that feel like paper but they are strong tyvek, very hard to rip.  I am still working on finding colored tyvek, as the process of purchasing and printing on tyvek seems an expensive endeavor.

So in the meantime, I decided on using paper and then making the paper stronger.  Regular inexpensive origami paper is pretty cheap in feel and look.  The more expensive paper feels more like fabric, but firstly, too expensive for the amount of paper I will need, and the normal designs on them were not in my vision of the dress.  I wanted solid colors with a little pattern mixed in there.  Since I normally work just with fabric, I did want the paper to look textured like fabric and rich in color.  So I’ve been buying paper from the art stores and hand cutting 4×4 squares.  I was advised to try spraying polyurethene on the cranes once they were folded to make them stronger and water proof.  So I did an experiment with three different products, a drawing fixer spray, polyurethene, and gel medium (mod podge).  The only one that was less ripable was the gel medium.  And so this was the winner.

The dress structure:


I see the dress as having a strong structure and a full skirt.  Like a ballroom, prom or wedding dress kind of shape.  Since there was a lot of work ahead of me with this dress, I figured I should be able to thrift a dress and maybe just need to alter it for sizing.  Well, without looking too long, I found myself on vacation in Nevada City and spotted the perfect dress for $25 that fit me perfectly!

The process continues:

 

Cutting, glueing, sewing, stay tuned for the next phase….

UPDATE 9-24-18: Just beginning work on this dress again, but waiting to see if I receive a grant from the Santa Cruz Arts Council to help pay for materials.  Will find out in December, so progress is slowed til then.  But I have many cranes already cut and folded so I’ve begun sewing them onto the dress again.

Nadine Lollino
2 COMMENTS
  • Lyndsae
    Reply

    Great post! That dress is an incredible find. Perfect!

    1. Nadine Lollino
      Reply

      Hey thanks! I took a long pause because I’ve submitted a grant for paper. Just starting back up on it!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *